Archives for posts with tag: potholder

This week’s sewing focused mostly on my sister’s birthday gifts – I finished the wonky starburst mug rug and also made a gathered clutch using this Noodlehead tutorial. I struggled with the interfacing and I’m not totally thrilled with how it came out (the stripe on the front is a bit OFF), but I want to try it again because it’s so cute and a perfect size!

The yellow floral fabric used to be a Target napkin, shhh!

I made a little bit of progress on the Central Park HST baby quilt, and I also started on making some pillows for the baby’s big siblings. This disappearing 9 patch block will become a pillow for the baby’s big sister:

I’m still working on binding the Rainbow New Wave quilt.

Last but not least, the stuff I haven’t touched this week:

Quilt tops in progress:

Livy’s wonky star quilt
Colorful log cabin quilt

Completed quilt tops, waiting for quilting:

Delia’s Central Park log cabin quilt
Tattooed Ladies mini quilt

Small projects in progress: 

Starburst Leftovers mug rug

This week’s stats:

Last week’s in-progress projects: 8
New projects – 2
Completed projects – 2
Currently in progress – 8

Check out everyone else’s links by clicking the button below.

WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced

Advertisements

I had a really productive week! Mostly small projects, working on binding a bigger quilt, and starting a new baby quilt!

I made a wonky starburst mug rug for my sister’s birthday gift using this tutorial (still need to quilt and bind it):

I had all these leftovers after trimming down the blocks:

Which I turned into a Starburst Leftovers mug rug!

I already blogged about the doggie applique potholder I made using my new Go Baby fabric cutter, which I am still totally enamored with!

I also used the Go Baby to cut a pack of Central Park charms and strips of white fabric into 3″ finished half square triangles and got started on a new baby quilt! It really made cutting triangles so quick and easy. I love the Central Park fabric so much! Hopefully the colors are gender-neutral enough, I’m making it for friends who won’t be finding out the sex of their baby until it’s born (Leap Day 2012 is the due date!). (Side note – I really need a design wall…I had to lay all these HSTs out on the floor and my dog kept walking over them and messing up the design!)

I used this pleated pouch tutorial to make two zipper pouches – one mini to use to hold my supplies for binding quilts (tiny scissors, needles, thread, binding clips) and one normal sized to give to my sister as part of birthday gift:

I’m still working on binding the Rainbow New Wave quilt.

Last but not least, the stuff I haven’t touched this week:

Quilt tops in progress:

Livy’s wonky star quilt
Colorful log cabin quilt

Completed quilt tops, waiting for quilting:

Delia’s Central Park log cabin quilt
Tattooed Ladies mini quilt

This week’s stats:

Last week’s in-progress projects: 5
New projects – 6
Completed projects – 3
Currently in progress – 8

Check out everyone else’s links by clicking the button below.

WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced

Last night I used two of my new Go Baby dies to make a cute little potholder for a co-worker who’s about to go on a medical leave for awhile, so I wanted to do something nice for her. I used the Gingham Dog die and the 4″ half square triangle die. This was my first foray into applique and I just used a machine zigzag stitch. I definitely need some practice on making the turns more smoothly, but I was pretty pleased with it for a first attempt!

I like how the fabric’s dots lined up perfectly to be the dog’s nose and eye – totally not intentional!

The one thing I don’t like about putting the dog on the middle of the HSTs is that it covers up how perfectly the corners matched up…I have a feeling I’ll be using the HST die a lot!! I already went out and bought the 3″ HST die at Jo-Anns, too!  I’m about to start cutting about a million HSTs from my Central Park charm squares to make a baby quilt. I have not one but FOUR co-workers and one cousin expecting babies right now!

I caved and bought the Farmer’s Wife Sampler Quilt book. I’d been resisting. Not because I don’t appreciate all the amazing blocks that everyone has been posting as part of the quilt-along (I seriously LOVE the reinterpretation of very traditional blocks in modern prints and bright colors!) but because I felt like my skills are not up to par for sewing the tiny little pieces that comprise these blocks! And I was worried that I wouldn’t have the patience to actually DO anything with these blocks and it would just distract me from projects that I would actually finish. Well, the allure of the Century of Progress block finally overwhelmed me and I went to Barnes and Noble after work yesterday to buy the book. I don’t know why but this Century of Progress block has really drawn me in! So this afternoon I put one together:

I really like the way it came out! It was definitely time consuming and somewhat challenging, and I can’t imagine I’ll ever have the patience to put together anything as big as a quilt with these tiny little squares, but I’m turning this block into a potholder for the office kitchen and I could definitely see myself making more of these blocks for potholders and other small projects. Maybe I’d consider doubling the size of these blocks to make a quilt!